Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Wonderful Surprises, Convicting Visits and Christmas


Week 1, Day 2, Days Until Next Guest 4

I was sitting quietly at my desk today when I saw, out of the corner of my eye, someone entered the church. I went on working thinking they would come around the corner to my door. Instead, I heard Pastor Pat, who was hanging a picture down the hallway, say, "Oh my gosh! Come here brother and let me kiss your head!" I was trying to figure out who it was when he called, "Bri come here! You will want to see this!" So, out I came.

6 months ago we said farewell to a soldier in our body who was deploying to Afghanistan for a year. He is a precious brother in the Lord. He was able to get a short leave to come home and rest. Most of the soldiers that are there have some time off but Del is on 24/7 pretty much. He has quite a bit of responsibility and because of that he has no days off and works 14 hour days. Then nights, because of where they are stationed, are often interrupted with medical emergencies and shootings etc.

As we stood there in the hallway and chatted for at least an hour I couldn't help but be convicted. You would have to meet Del to fully understand, but he is one of the most patient, loving, humble guys I know. He is out in the middle of a war and sharing the love of God with everyone he meets. It is amazing. He exudes Jesus.

For those of you thinking this already, no he's not single, he's engaged. I'm not interested in him like that. He and his fiance are precious to me.

So, this has been my day so far. Seeing a soldier who left me more encouraged than we left him.

Now it is time to get to work. On today's list of goals is putting away the groceries I just bought, picking up the Living Room and working on the second stack of papers. I showed a before picture of my room yesterday and not an after because there wasn't much to show. Today's picture has two things of papers. Yesterdays project was the cloth bin with the receipts. Today's is a box with some more papers and some miscellaneous stuff that got thrown in there when I moved.......over a year ago. Yikes! So no after picture today either because the bin was relocated to hold some other stuff and the box will be empty. Here it goes!

Well, its done. Not the greatest of jobs but its done. Ugh.

In the midst of this I am organizing in other areas. Today I bought a 3 ring binder and some dividers specifically for holiday planning. I will set up my book and explain more later. But in the meantime, check out this site: 8 weeks to a frazzle free Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment