Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bleeding Organization

The nice part about getting more and more organized is that it begins to spill over into other areas of your life. My previous habits for my finances were this,

Keep a running total of what is in the bank in my head.
Possibly balance my checkbook monthly but more like quarterly.
Attempt a budget but give up when its too discouraging.

Granted I do not have debt other than my car payment, meaning I do have a credit card but I pay it off every month. But my methods did get me into some scrapes a couple times where I had less money that I remembered in my head or forgot a check I had written or something.

However, my organization in my house and with Christmas planning have begun to bleed into other areas of my life. Now, I currently run through my finances about every 2 weeks when I get paid. At the most once a month. Then after that I have a more accurate view of where I am. Plus I am doing very well with spending lately. I was doing horrible and struggling not to end up in a hole. I don't mean end up in the hole as in owing money on my card, I mean a hole as in digging myself deeper. Well I just had a shovel and the hole was only a foot deep. So I stepped out and am now filling it back in.

It is a huge relief to have a handle on my finances again. I was very good when I was younger but the more I started working on the church finances the less I wanted to when I got home. But I think I am finding a happy balance of torture and responsibility. Because financial stuff really is torture.

So all I have left to say is, "BLEEDING ORGANIZATION BATMAN!!!" I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment