Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Scripture Memorization

I know I posted a similar post already but remember, this is my blog with what I like. I wasn't fully happy with my previous post. I wanted to explain things better, more in depth. So this is my revised version. I can do that, I'm a writer.

Day 6, Post 6

My church has a senior high discipleship program, of which, this year, I am a mentor. Every season, the students are encouraged to memorize large portions of Scripture and this year, it was decided, that they would memorize the entire book of James. So, in order to be a good mentor and lead by example, I began tackling our first section with enthusiasm.

What amazes me, after 1 week of working the verses, is how often the Lord has used these Scriptures in my day to day situations. I might get my feelings hurt, but instead of being upset I remember, "count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience..." So I sigh, and move on, recognizing that though my feelings are hurt, I must be patient and endure.

Then, perhaps, I end up in a situation where I just haven't a clue what to do, and I remember, "if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all liberally and without reproach and it will be given to him." So I pray for wisdom.

Later maybe I pray and ask God to do something but I don't really believe He can and God tugs on my heart reminding me that, "let him ask in faith with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord. He is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."

In each of these situations the wave of comfort that washes over me when I recall the Word of God is so amazing. It just spurs me on to memorize more. When I am feeling lost, lonely, sad, angry, or any negative emotion at all, reminding myself of what God has spoken to me warms my heart like a cup of hot cocoa on a snowy day.

I cherish my Scriptures now. I guard them like a treasure that I never want to lose. For they are life to me. They are water to my weary soul, hope to my discouraged heart, and peace to my tumultuous mind. Jesus is the Word in flesh and if I did not have Him, I have nothing, and I would give all I have, just to have Him.

I challenge you, now that you have read this, pick a verse, memorize it, chew on it, know it with your head, your heart and your soul. Live it!

No comments:

Post a Comment