Monday, September 14, 2009

Just Keep Talking

Day 11, Post 11

Grandfatherly figures should record themselves and sell the CDs as a relaxation tool. There is something so comforting in the sound a grandfatherly voice. Its like going home.

There are other voices that have this similar soothing sound. Certain accents and timbres can instantly begin to melt away at the tension in your shoulders. Such as the sound of Cate Blanchett's voice as she does the opening narration in The Lord of the Rings (now you are all scrambling around in your memories trying to find that audio file to play it in your head in order to remember what I am talking about). Or perhaps its the sound of Sean Connery's voice saying...well, anything really.

Perhaps for you it is the accent. Irish, English, Spanish, any accent that is fluid to your ears. Growing up there were quite a few young men in our youth group that had a Hispanic accent. To this day when I hear a young male with the same accent I feel homesick for that time of my life.

What is it about these different tones and rythyms that we find so familiar? Why do we find a comfort and a peace under the vocal spell of certain individuals? Perhaps it brings back a soothing memory, or it is a melodic sound to our ears. Whatever it may be all we want to say to those people is, "can you just keep talking, I just like to hear you talk."

Can you imagine what Jesus' voice will sound like? What about God's? In some ways I imagine it will be awe-inspiring. But aren't grandfatherly voices like that at times? But perhaps there is a sweet tender side too. So much of the Word has that gentle tone.

Oh how I long to hear that Voice! The Voice that will wipe away every insignificant concern. The Voice that, at that first instant I hear it, will affirm everything I ever knew to be true of my Lord and Savior. The Voice that by speaking called things into existence. The same Voice that I hear in my heart, to hear audibly, oh the joy of that day!

I know we will worship in heaven. But I imagine there will be much time sitting at His feet saying, "can you just keep talking, I just like to hear you talk."

3 comments:

Jerry's Precious Kim said...

When I think of Grandpa's voice it makes me smile and i especially love it when he gets all excited and and his words mix up all into one big long word. Grandpa is the best! I do wonder what Jesus' voice would be like, strong and yet sweet. Something to look forward to.

Cher said...

A comforting sound I love is early in the morning when I wake up and hear Cliff and Clyde talking. I enjoy the sound of their voices together.

Briana "Symmie" Simmons said...

Kim you are SO right. I love the way Grandpa pronounces words. I wish I could copy it and tell others but it is never the same!!!

Mom, you are right, I totally forgot to mention that sound. That is probably my most comforting sound.

Post a Comment